Sunday 4 August 2019

Days following surgery

I honestly cant believe how good I feel.

I woke up with no neck pain which is bonkers. The back of my head is completely numb which is obviously an odd feeling, but it doesn't bother me. I was sent home with a pain pump inserted into my neck, but also a prescription for a large dose of Hydrocodone to keep pain under control. After a few days I dropped this Hydrocodone dose to 1/4 of what he prescribed me because I honestly didn't need it. My head was tight, and there was a small amount of discomfort around my incision sites, but it was incredibly low compared to the discomfort I normally dealt with. I felt like a million bucks and Shaun and my parents would scold me to go to bed and rest. The problem was that I haven't felt this good in 9 years so I wanted to do everything. I wanted to clean, I wanted to go outside, I wanted to get on the floor and play with my kids.



























I let Kinley come up and visit me 2 days post-op, I just kept my hood up so she wouldn't see my incisions. I wasn't going to let Emmett see me until I got the pain pump removed as he was still breastfeeding and I wasn't sure if he was still interested. I pumped and dumped for that first week when I had the pain pump in.


My parents came a few days before surgery to help. They were an absolute lifesaver, especially as Shaun went back to work. They entertained the kiddos as I hid in my room. They kept the house clean and made meals. My dad would make me veggie smoothies and bring freshly made coffee with my morning porridge, and mom would make snack plates that only a mom can make so perfectly. I (as well as my family) was very well taken care of, and I know this made this week so much easier.

The first two nights I slept in the recliner in our room, however I struggled to get comfortable. The third night Shaun made me a little nest in bed that elevated my head with couch cushions. I slept way better, but due to the numbness in the back of my head, I felt like I was laying on a metal pipe. I was incredibly grateful for that cooling mask around my head.

Showering was a bit of a challenge as the pain pump was in a little purse that couldn't get wet. So Shaun would hold the purse while I showered. Then he took over the role as my personal nurse and would help me gently brush my hair and put cream on my incisions. 


6 days post-op Shaun was lucky enough to be forced to pull out my pain pump. I didn't feel it because I'm completely numb, but he still didn't enjoy the experience of pulling 12 inches of tubing out of my neck. I will spare you all the video, haha. Here is a picture of Winston keeping me company instead.





No comments:

Post a Comment