Tuesday 14 October 2014

Moja, Mbili, Tatu!

The teacher was sick again today, so Katie and I had the level 1 class to ourselves once again. However the level 2 kids somehow ended up with us too.
Enoki playing with Brian, Ben, and Thomasi
Katie and I made noisemakers out of empty waterbottles and sand/rocks. We quietly shook them while whispering “moja, mbili, tatu” in attempt to get them to count (one, two, three!). It actually worked! The room was quiet (momentarily) as they nodded their heads to the beat.  Amani loved it, he was rocking out to our singing. Those who participated were given a shaker to join along. Whew! Progress! 
Cutest little Brian
10:00 is time for porridge. All the kids from all 3 classes join, sing a prayer, then have a cup of porridge. After that it is play time, and break time for Katie and I. The ladies at the school bring us Chai, and we relax in the “teacher’s lounge” beside the playground, while the little ones peek in the window.
Morning porridge

Ben peeking into the teachers lounge
The afternoon class went surprisingly well. We did some coloring, puzzles, stretching (well, tried), and wrote out letters for the ones who were able, like Thomasi.



Katie with Ben and Brian

Thomasi

Julius being silly
When Neema was at a regular school she was locked in an empty classroom by her teachers as they were unable to deal with her, and her violent tendencies.  She is autistic, and although it is difficult to keep her on task, or from hitting other kids, it breaks my heart that she was treated so poorly.

There are two very dirty mattresses that the kids play/lay on. The last hour of the day I sat on the mattress with some of the kids to read to them. Amani sat on my lap, and melted into me. He cuddled with me, completely settled, until lunch. I think some of these kids just need some love and attention. They are starting to grow on me.

Our little classroom

No comments:

Post a Comment