Saturday 18 October 2014

Neema House: Baby Orphanage

Today we went to Neema House, a baby orphanage that cares for newborns and toddlers up to age 3.

When we got there, we played with the toddlers. They were dancing, and climbing, and running around naked. They were the cutest! 




Next we went to the newborn area. Lily, 2 weeks old, was abandoned by her mother at the hospital who went shopping and never returned for her. There was another little one who was found in a gravel pile with the umbilical cord and placenta still attached. A little Maasai boy was there because he was a twin, and in the tribe they only feed the bigger one, so he ended up here. Many others were the result of their mother dying during childbirth.  My favourite was Rose. She was so sweet, and such a happy little thing.  In order to adopt a child from Tanzania, the government requires you to live in the country for 3 years. Yes, I asked.


Katie holding Lily
Rose<3

For lunch we went to Alpha Burger which is a popular spot we often visit, for the wifi and for the unbelievable burgers. The steak sandwich is the best. I am drooling thinking about it. Sorry, random,  but important!

Shaun called me tonight, and we spoke for almost 2 hours! It was amazing! I am so, so lucky to have a husband that not only supports me going to Africa, but also extending my trip. He knows being here is a dream of mine, and I am beyond fortunate to have him as my biggest supporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment