Monday 6 October 2014

Zanzibar :: paradise

Zanzibar: an island in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Eastern Tanzania. Amazing beaches, amazing sunsets, amazing ocean, and fascinating old cities.


I spent the weekend in Zanzibar with a group of girls from my house. We had an incredible time. These ladies are seriously the best.





When we arrived we immediately did a spice tour in Stone Town as this is what the area is known for. We saw different spices in their original form, ate so much fresh fruit, and had a man climb a coconut tree and sing to us. His biceps were amazing. Then they made us accessories out of leaves. We really felt like tourists at that point.






We stayed in the northern part of the island at Kendwa Rocks, sleeping in cute little huts on the beach.

The sand was so white, clean, and soft.  The ocean was clear, and a million colors of blue. Heaven. I didn't think this place could get any better, until I experienced my first sunset.








We spent our days snorkeling with our pal, Captain Sugar (a buff 65 year old with no English), swimming, enjoying the African sun, and trying out local, nameless restaurants. One of the restaurants which we went to served a giant plate of rice, ugali, beans, boga, and an unknown hot sauce, all for 3000tsh ($2). Fruit was so fresh, and I ate as much as possible.



This meal was $2.00



We went to a fancy restaurant on the beach as a Goodbye Supper to Cassi. They served bread with oil and vinegar as a starter. Once my meal came, I was unable to finish my fries. The waiter picked up my plate and said "you aren't finishing this? You know it is really bad to waste food. Does anyone else want to finish these? Anyone at all?" as he offered my plate to everyone in the vicinity. Woops.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment