Friday 19 September 2014

Shelby? Siri?

I got to placement by myself today! Only got lost for a moment. I was very proud of myself! Especially since Tamara had to take FOUR dala dalas, and still couldn’t find her way. Milan saw her walking in the wrong direction, so jumped out of his dala dala to save her. Haha.

The hospital has a little outdoor restaurant, and every day I get Chai (tea). She knows me by now, and says “Chai?” when I sit down. It tastes like Chai at home, but stronger spices. It is sooo good! And only 400tsh (26 cents)

I met some of the other volunteers and we went downtown. I booked tickets to Zanzibar!! Woo!! A big group of us are going together. Google Zanzibar, it’s a gorgeous place on the coast.
Me, Cassi, Katie, and Emily in front of the market, and Mount Meru.


We then went to the second hand market. Oh my! I would give anything for Shelby and Siri to be here with me!!! I can’t even explain it. It was giant building, after building of clothes piled up. There were baby clothes, adult clothes, shoes, back packs, sports uniforms, suitcases, dresses, everything you could think of! It was so overwhelming, that we just walked and browsed. There were literally tens of thousands of shoes. They are second hand, but many look very good. I was wondering where these articles come from, and one of the other volunteers has a theory that when people donate clothes to Africa, they end up here, instead of in orphanages or wherever else was promised. Emily bought jeans for $3. I bought Converse shoes for $9. I need to go back, but I am glad the first time was just to browse. 





2 comments: