Monday 22 September 2014

Lubrication, please!

14 babies were born last night.  During morning rounds I saw TWO women and TWO new babies to each small single bed.  No one complained. It was hard to believe, as at home people complain if they aren't in a private room. Seriously, people in Canada don’t understand how fortunate they are.

Three women were in the labour room getting assessed. The nurse asked me if I wanted to do the vaginal exam. I said no, as I have no idea what I am looking for, and that is just increased risk for infection.  No lubrication was used, and it looked very painful. At my hospital sterile gloves were used which was nice to see. I have a couple friends at a nearby birth clinic, and they said that the nurse at their placement put on sterile gloves and did a vaginal exam on a lady, then using the same gloves, went to the next lady. Yup, lets let that sink in.

I did measure fundal height, and did blood pressures. I also attempted to listen to the fetal heart rate, but they use a plastic cone, and I had difficulty hearing anything.

Their system for disinfecting equipment is as follows: wash with soap by hand, soak in powdered bleach, rinse, and then put in autoclave. The part I struggled with was that they reused the suction tubing from surgeries, as well as IV tubing.  I have no idea as to when they decide to throw out the IV tubing. When it springs a leak?


I also spent some time in the dressing area (which is my favourite place to be). There was a man who had a disgusting finger wound. I am not sure the last time he got the dressing changed, because his skin was healing over the dressing, and getting the dressing off was very time consuming.  I also changed a neck dressing. The only supplies available was gauze and masking tape. The gauze was “sterile” in a big can. So, it was pretty straight forward when you don't have hundreds of dressing to choose from.  I spoke with the nurse, and she said that it is difficult, but they can only use what they have. 

Post-op room (on a quiet day)


1 comment:

  1. It's nice to see the curtains there are up and out of the way rather than covered in filth and touching everything/everyone...A+

    ReplyDelete