Saturday 20 September 2014

Mount Kilimanjaro: If you can't climb it, drink it.

Woke up at 5:45 for our hiking trip to Kilimanjaro. My throat was raw, and my voice was hoarse. Noooo! I knew I was bound to get sick eventually, as everyone on the Dala Dala likes to cough in my face. Thank you momma for making me put zinc tablets in my suitcase!

It was a two hour drive to the mountain, and when we got there it was a foggy haze. It was almost magical. Cassi and I did a stretch before we started the hike.


The hike was way harder than I was expecting. However, we were climbing a mountain, what did I expect? We ended up walking a total of 18km, up to 3000m altitude. It was amazing how the higher you got, the more difficult it was to breathe. It didn’t help that I was sick.

We walked through rainforest, and it was amazing! So gorgeous! I took many pictures, but like most things, it was impossible to capture its beauty on camera. The sun came out, and it got quite hot! It was gorgeous. At the beginning we were all chatting and talking pictures, but soon enough we were too busy concentrating on our feet to talk. The path was steep and uneven at times. I am going to be sore tomorrow. I can’t complain, there are porters who carry up supplies and luggage for the hikers who are climbing to the top. Worst job ever!





At 3000m we got to Maundi Crater. We walked around the rim and saw a fantastic view! You could see the clouds rolling in below you. Super pretty!





The hike down took two hours. There were a few times I almost slipped. A monkey almost peed on Molly’s head. She jumped out the way just in time. By the time the bottom came, I was exhausted. We all were! I was grateful with my decision not to climb to the top (which takes 5-8 days). No thanks! Some celebrated with a Kilimanjaro Beer. It was well deserved. You know what they say, if you can’t climb it, drink it!   

No comments:

Post a Comment