Wednesday 24 September 2014

Privacy? You're kidding.

Yesterday Natalia gave us “homework”. We had to study the HIV medications that were given at the clinic. We sat down and she told us about the different drugs used for kids, elderly, pregnant/breastfeeding, and the importance of healthy lifestyle habits. She also explained what their CD4 count indicated. There was a patient with a CD4 of 6, and at that point, Natalia said all they can do is hope and pray. She told us that she can’t tell mothers not to breastfeed, as most are unable to afford formula.

At the labour ward, we assessed a new patient. Again, no lube. Maybe I should donate a box full of lubrication? I bet the patients would appreciate that! One of the ladies had genital mutilation, which I have never seen before. I wish I asked how common GM was in Tanzania.

Have I described the Labour Room? It is a room with 3 beds next to each other, with about 3 feet in between beds. There is often 3 women in the room at all times, all with their legs spread or their breasts out with no curtain or barrier in between. They are often naked, and the door is often left open. It is weird to see as women are so modest out in public. 





Watching women in labour is difficult as they aren't allowed to show pain. They are literally told to “be quiet” if they groan or moan. At my friend’s placement (again, so glad I never saw this at mine), there was a woman who tore during birth and had to be stitched up. The woman was begging not to be stitched up yet as the lidocaine hadn’t been effective. The nurse continued anyway, and when the lady’s legs started closing, the nurse stabbed her leg with scissors to open them up again. Again, we are so fortunate in Canada.

I helped take garbage out back to the incinerator. Everything was thrown in there – mostly plastic packaging, used catheters, etc. Their poor lungs! I guess I need to be thankful urinary catheters aren't reused?

1 comment: