Tuesday 23 September 2014

Welcome, Ebola!

In morning meeting they told us that Levolosi hospital will be the ebola center for Arusha.  There is a ward behind the hospital in which they will use for quarantine. The building is beautiful, but currently unfinished.  The hospital had the funding to complete the building, but because the government is so corrupt, they didn’t get all the money given to them.
 
Unfinished ward
I am struggling with deciding what to spend my donation money on.  I have learned that I need to be careful, and not go through the government. I am also aware that I need to purchase things myself, as giving money won’t end up where I was told it would go. It is very overwhelming as EVERYTHING needs to be updated. I also need to take into consideration that the staff does very well on what they have, and donations must be something they will use. For example, someone donated wheelchairs, and they are currently being used as chairs in the waiting room. I also need to purchase something that requires no upkeep (I was debating hand sanitizer dispensers, but once the supply is out, there is a good chance they will not be refilled). At my friend’s placement, someone donated pillows (did I mention that no pillows are provided?), but the staff stole them and took them home. I also thought of a soap supply as there is no soap anywhere, including the staff bathrooms, but at my friend’s placement, those went missing too.


This afternoon we helped at the HIV clinic where we found patient files, weighed patients, and counted out pills. Natalia (the HIV clinic nurse) told us that HIV pills are free, however there is a cost for a consultation (I think, don’t quote me on this).  Natalia told us she wants to start a clinic for children where they can play, and be given information and facts in a way a child would understand. It makes me sad seeing how many children come to the clinic.

Tamara filing at HIV clinic

We love filing!

HIV consultation room

1 comment:

  1. Man that is sooo cool....I am living vicariously through your blogs!

    ReplyDelete