Sunday 14 September 2014

I made it!

After 20 hours of flying, I am sweaty, sore, but happily in Tanzania!

Flying into Tanzania, we flew beside Mt. Kilimanjaro, and Mt. Meru which were above the clouds. The clouds were thick, so it looked like a little mountain above the snow. It was spectacular, and photos don’t do justice.

I flew into Kilimanjaro Airport, and went through a very disorganized customs. I was really happy that I chose to get my Visa prior to leaving Canada. Saved me a big headache. I was picked up and driven the hour to Arusha. My first sight of Africa was kind of what I expected. Open, barren, kids on the side of the road, random goats and chickens everywhere, crazy drivers, and run down homes.
The volunteer house I am staying at is called Tembo, which means elephant. We drove down a skinny road, kids running behind us. We pulled up to a big gate, and had to be let in by the guard. I was shown around my house, and met a few people. I am up on second floor, sharing a room with 5 other girls. We have our own bathroom, and a little balcony. It is cute. I asked my roommate if there was any tricks with the shower, and she said “hot is cold, and cold is hot, oh, and make sure you move the toilet paper. Good luck”. For those who have been to Thailand, picture that. The entire bathroom was soaked when I was done, in which I sweep the water to the drain. I really wanted a nap, but was given very strong instant coffee and told to force myself to stay awake. Probably a good idea as another Canadian got here a couple days ago, and slept for 16 hours the first night, and hasn’t been able to sleep since.  

More people began to show up after finishing their placements for the day. Most people are volunteering in orphanages, some teaching, and the rest medical placement. Orientation starts on the 15th of the month, so people began to show up from around the world. It was nice, because many people travelled here alone, like me! I am getting along with people so easily. It is amazing how people who travel can come from all corners of the earth, but still be so similar. These are my people!


Then the power went out. It gets dark here by 6:30pm, so it was a surprise. Power outtages are a common occurrence as the government regulates usage.  Always without warning, our house Momma was ready with candles. We visited and played cards by candle light. Turns out we can’t flush toilets, or shower. What is this? Hazenmore?







1 comment:

  1. Keep the commentary comin...I feel as though I am there with you when I read your words. This is such a wonderful, exciting experience for you! I miss that feeling of moving to a new place where you know no one....that will come soon enough.

    ReplyDelete